One Of Runescape's Largest Slaying Communities!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Botting Statement - October 11 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hopalong
Soulgazer

PostSubject: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but if you haven't here's the whole article (or click here for the link to the actual page)
RuneScape wrote:
Dear RuneScape Community,

I would like to take a moment of your time to address the highly emotive issue that we face as a community – bots.

At the beginning of the year, when we brought Free Trade and the Wilderness back, we promised that we would couple that with programmes that would combat the inevitable botting that would result from that decision. Over the last few months we have initiated a number of programmes to do this, some of which we have already mentioned to you, some of which we haven’t because of legal reasons and some because we do not want to warn gold farmers and bot makers about our counter measures.

The challenge for us is that despite all of our programmes and best intentions the problem is still huge and, most annoyingly, still adversely impacting parts of our game.

We are continuing to battle bots on all fronts. In an effort to be more open and transparent we wish to share a couple of measures and initiatives we are about to release/have released recently:

We have recently improved our internal systems to be able to spot spam from the chat window and instantly mute the offender preventing the constant flow of communication from the gold farmers which are impacting the game experience. Your reports are very helpful to us here!

Continuing our ongoing legal cases against bot developers.

Mandatory email validation for new accounts will add extra account security and impair the mass account creation that gold farmers use.

There are several other initiatives and actions that we plan to implement over the next few months and we will share these with you as often and in much detail as we can. The most significant of these is to come soon. Also, we recognise that we have not been the best at communicating what we are doing and that changes today.

While we are winning small battles by spending significant money and resources in trying to combat this problem, the war is not going in our favour as we are struggling to keep up with companies whose only business 24 hours a day 7 days a week is to find ways to get bots into the game. As a result, one thing has become really clear to us despite our ongoing efforts.

We cannot win this battle alone. We need your help.

So how can you help? First, we would like to hear from you in a more coordinated way regarding your thoughts about how to fight the bots problem. We will be developing surveys to help us understand more about bots directly from you... we would love to hear your response.

We would like to set up a special forum where we can have targeted Q&A’s and get formal feedback from you about specific initiatives. We will let you know when this forum is set up and invite you to join us.

We hope that you will engage with and encourage your friends to use any tools that we provide to you that will help us identify and ban the bots like the Spam Filter feature.

And finally, we would ask that you refrain from using bots or supporting gold farmers. If there is not a market, then bots will not exist. As was so eloquently put in a recent post on Tip.it “Standing up to Jagex [by voicing one’s opinion on the botting issue], one might argue, requires a certain amount of courage, but much more is required to stand up to one’s friends”. The player went on to say, “The community needs to stand up for itself by following the rules and shunning those who do not. Lacking customers, the websites that set up the bots will close, and the only botter will be the isolated real player. Ultimately, following the three pillars of the code of conduct that Jagex set up-“Honour,” “Respect,” and “Security” are a responsibility of the players and the community as much as they are of Jagex.”

We are committed to ridding our game of bots. We are committed to providing a more open discussion with you about the real challenges that we face as a result of our efforts. We are committed to involving you more in this war so we can win this fight together.

Most importantly, we are committed to continuing our investment in evolving and making RuneScape a great game to play and an amazing community to be a part of.

Thanks,

Daniel Clough
Chief Operating Officer & Vice President of RuneScape
I wanna hear what are YOUR opinions on this and on botting? Do you think it's a major issue, or is it just something of a nuisance? Do you think that the botting crisis can be solved? Do you think JaGeX is just bluffing, or do you think they will really follow through with this?
I'm curious to hear all of your answers Very Happy

J
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Regardless of what Jagex says, I don't think they really care. It's just a PR move. If they truely eliminated bots, they'd eliminate a large portion of their profits. I'd estimate at least 1/4 of members are gold farmers. Jagex allows botters to buy back thier accounts if banned. Don't know just a sore subject with me I guess Smile
Back to top Go down
Merondon
Warped Tortoise

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 pm

I like this, if it's banns or just rollbacks it will still make a difference and it shows they are doing something (look at attack, magic and fishing ranks and exp)

http://runetrack.com/history.php?user=Jayray09&m1=10&d1=6&y1=2011&m2=10&d2=7&y2=2011
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 pm

I'd like to be optimistic about this, but until I see some results, I'm not going to believe that Jagex are doing anything major to combat botting. Don't get my wrong, I understand that there isn't a magic switch they can flip that will instantly disintegrate all bots and their programmers. But I would like to see some progress. Time will tell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:45 pm

They could always set things back the way it was prior to bringing the wild back. Can't say for sure if bots were lower (I assume they were) but the market didn't get hit anything like it is now. Every item that is botted by gold farmers have crashed to the point its seriously messing the ecomomy up bad in RS. Though I appreciate that they at least aknowledged it enough to do the post. Hope they have more in store as promised
Back to top Go down
Hopalong
Soulgazer

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Paper Chair wrote:
I'd like to be optimistic about this, but until I see some results, I'm not going to believe that Jagex are doing anything major to combat botting. Don't get my wrong, I understand that there isn't a magic switch they can flip that will instantly disintegrate all bots and their programmers. But I would like to see some progress. Time will tell.
As for myself, I personally agree 100% with Paper here. I want to think that they are going to do it, but I'll remain skeptic until I see some proof that they are doing something. Keep the answers coming Very Happy I like to read these.

J
Back to top Go down
MikeyzDragon
Skeletal Wyvern

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:11 pm

don't see why you guys need proof after the pic from mero. they've always been doing something. the reason you have not heard anything at this point is for legal purposes. my guess would be because their lawyer doesn't want to release info until it's settled. but those rank changes are a clear sign they are still working at it. may it be roll backs or bans (bans remove you from high scores, so those rank changes include bans), they are still working against bots.

I don't know what kind of proof you guys want, maybe it's an update to how many bots they have banned and/or rolled back in a given time period or maybe it's actually witness a ban or statement. all this talk about jagex doing nothing, all they want is money, they don't care, etc. is just plain ignorant statements where people have no proof to deter.

It's all a legal battle now which can take years to settle. I don't know how many of you know the law or how trials work, but they cannot obtain support or influence a decision/discussion with the internet. you never hear statements during processions. you always hear the results. anything before is preliminary and outside the source. like I said earlier, they are probably not allowed to publicly announce their progress.

there's an old post where they had banned like 22k players or something like last year I think. why would they stop now? it's now bigger than what jagex can handle to take down. the reports for macros will probably help their case and/or ease the strain on the staff.

kind of a rant from nest because it annoys the hell out of me when people are all on the bandwagon that jagex doesn't care/isn't doing anything when they clearly are.

like hop, look up yourself on runetracker and look at your fishing. 776 fishing exp gained for month. but you gained 100k ranks.
Back to top Go down
Phonixz
Ganodermic Beast
Ganodermic Beast

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Full agreement with Mikeyz, Jagex have always done lots for this game and the issue with bots is just someting there is no quick fix for

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Bots is something we love and hate at the same time. They take away any reasonable way of training certian skills, but people generally love the availablity of raw resources so they can just buy them instantly in the ge. How often do we see someone ticked off that they can't get something in the ge when they want it. Bots are a problem we fuel. Players buy the gold. Players buy the accounts. Players pay them to level their accounts. Who out there actually wants to collect all their own resources. Jagex/Runescape will never be able to rid the game of bots. There will always be the battle between exploiting the system and closing the gaps. As I'm sure we all know, bots are a problem that Jagex can't solve but can be solved by the player base. Bots are only around cause we say they ruin the game, but some of us use them when others aren't looking.
Back to top Go down
Barca
Soulgazer

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 am

I would perfer getting all resourses myself and all the bots go away

Darth<3:

Back to top Go down
Merondon
Warped Tortoise

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 am

Here's some more:

Back to top Go down
Merondon
Warped Tortoise

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 am

Jagex wrote:
The project, code-named the ‘ClusterFlutterer’, will be launched as part of the RuneScape game update on Tuesday the 25th October permanently preventing “reflection” bots from working again.

I really really hope this works but more proof Jagex is actually doing something.

Source: This newspost
Back to top Go down
MikeyzDragon
Skeletal Wyvern

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:45 am

you forgot this part :>

"As Daniel made clear last week, we are dedicated to battling bots and gold farming on every front. We have also recently detected and banned over 1.5 million botting and gold farming accounts."

also lol, slayer day. gotta do jad asap.

What do they mean by reflection bots? Ones that work with the given environment?
Back to top Go down
Merondon
Warped Tortoise

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:30 pm

MikeyzDragon wrote:
you forgot this part :>

"As Daniel made clear last week, we are dedicated to battling bots and gold farming on every front. We have also recently detected and banned over 1.5 million botting and gold farming accounts."

also lol, slayer day. gotta do jad asap.

What do they mean by reflection bots? Ones that work with the given environment?

A quick search told me reflection bots read the data straight from rs so they don't need to read anything from the screen. Reflection bots are the ones that go down after an update (reflection needs to be updated). Hopefully this permanent fix will make it as it is just after an update all the time Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeyzDragon
Skeletal Wyvern

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:49 pm

hmmm..seems like that will stop them for a while but doesn't put them down. wonder how they're doing it. my few guesses include encrypting data sent, redirecting the updates to a different part of client (as I've noticed, an update to the client was issued today), or releasing a new client. who knows, probably something 10x more complex.
Back to top Go down
Merondon
Warped Tortoise

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:34 am

If we have any botters (hopefully not eh) feeling safe because Jagex isn't targeting "injection" bots as well they can start to worry now Smile

Source: http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/forums.ws?15,16,902,63289991
Back to top Go down
Hopalong
Soulgazer

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:34 pm

TBH, I'm excited. Best month of 2011 if this all works out?

J
Back to top Go down
Merondon
Warped Tortoise

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Hopology wrote:
TBH, I'm excited. Best month of 2011 if this all works out?

I'm also excited, really really hope this works out. It will definitely be best month of the year if it does. No bots + Dominion Tower (hopefully) + Runefest woo!
Back to top Go down
Wanahunuluge
Grifolaroo

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:07 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Botting Statement - October 11 2011   Today at 9:36 pm

Back to top Go down

Botting Statement - October 11 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1